Monday, February 18, 2008

Tayug Chuch

As a municipality, Tayug was established on March 10, 1817, the first Teniente absolute being Lorenzo Bernardo. But long before this date, the Augustinians were already in the settlement. Tayug was then a part of NUEVA ECIJA and was under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Manila. The Augustinians abandoned the place in 1785. From 1785 Tayug was administered by secular priests. In 817 the civil town of Tayug was ceded of Pangasinan. As a Parish it was given to the diocese of Nueva Segovia. At the instance of the Governor General, the Dominicans accepted the administration of Tayug and Fr. Matias Perez, O.P., took possession of the parish at the end of 1841. Finally the Dominicans accepted Tayug as their vicariate in their Provincial Chapter of 1846.

Fr. Vinelas constructed a wooden convent in 1850. Fr. Juan Fernandez started the construction of the church and the walls of masonry. Fr. Remigio Zapicio, parish priest of the town from 1867 to 1871 together with Fathers Nicolas Ortega and Hilario del Campo completed it.

Jose Cienfuegos (1886-1890) constructed the grandiose convent which used to be the most artistic convent of the province and perhaps in the whole Island. The church measured 67.60 meters long and 15.60 meters wide with a single nave.

Worthy to note in the history of Tayug is the January 10, 1931, “Colorum Upsring.” Led by Pedro Calosa, this semireligious group which was formed to topple the government, marched to the Poblacion, after a religious rally led in Barrio Legaspi,cutting communication lines and burning the Philippine Constabulary Baracks after having killed two officers. When the reinforcement of the Government troops arrived from Dagupan and Lingayen, the rebels retreated to the convent as a last ditch of defense. But after having lost some men when the government, the rebels surrendered

The church and convent were destroyed when the Americans bpmbed Tayug to liberate it from the Japanese. But through the efforts of parishioners led by Father Antonio Palma, the church and a part of the convent were restored.

No comments: