Monday, February 18, 2008

Pozorrubio Church

This town known befor as Claris was formerly a sitio of San Jacinto. It was founded on March 12, 1834, by Fr. Domingo Naval, Vicar of San Jacinto.

In 1839, the foundation of an ermita was laid down which was later finished in 1842. Although Pozorrubio became an independent town on January 30, 1870, by a royal decree of Governor General.

When Pozorrubio became an independent parish, a temporary church was built at Cablong (now the town proper). The new church was blessed on July 26, 1879, by Fr. Julian Lopez, Vicar of San Jacinto, and on December 5, 1879, Fr. Joaquin Gonzales (1879-1884) came as its resident parish priest.

The old convent was built in 1888 by Fr. Silvestre Fernandez (1887-1893) who also established the “escuelas” where people learned to read and write by the “caton” system of instruction. He taught the people how to make mortae as well as ladrillo, how to choose the best wood for house construction. He supervised the construction of the roads leading to Binalonan and Manaoag. He built the old brick-walled cemetery that is still standing today.

Fr. Mariano Rodriguez (1893-1899) started building a second and bigger church of bricks (75.57 m. long, 23 m. 50cm. Wide, walls of 4 m high), which was not finished because of the Philippines-American War. The original brick walls are still intact.

A term church was built during the term of Fr. Lucile Meirs (1899-1925) the first Filipino priest assigned in Pozorrubio. While the width and height of the brick walls remained the same, the length of this Church was reduced to 42 m. This church, together with the convent built by Fr. Fernandez, was destroyed on January 7, 1945, by American Bombers.

After World War II, a make-shift building was erected on the same site by Fr. Emilio Cinense (1947-1952). Fr. Cinense who later became a Bishop, founded the St.Philomena’s academy in 1948. Fr. Alfredo Cayabyab (1954-1967) reconstructed the Church that is standing today.

No comments: