Monday, February 18, 2008

Malasiqui Church

The parish of Malasiqui was formerly a “visita” of San Carlos. In 1665, it became a town which the venerable Fr. Juan Camacho as founder and first pastor. The original town of Malasiqui was located some two kilometers to the east of the road leading to Villasis. After an uprising in1660, the town was transferred to the present site in1661-1662. In 1971, Malasiqui was separated as a parish from San Carlos and in 1677, it was accepted by the Dominicans. Fr. Juan Catalan was administrator of the parish.

In 1746, the construction of the church and the convent was started by Fr. Luis Delfin. These buildings were burned in 1763. In 1770 another convent was built and, in 1773, the construction of a new church began under Fr. Tapias. It was completed in 1790. On February 29, 1820, another conflagration gutted down the town together with the church, the convent and the parish archives. The building of a new church began in 1823. This was also burned. A provincial church and a convent were again put up, but these crumbled during the earthquake in 1880. In 1882, Fr. Juan Cardaba constructed a new church which was inaugurated in 1885. This was partly destroyed in the tremors of 1892, but was repaired by Fr. Salvador Millan. This edifice measured 70 meters long and 18.50 meters wide. This was destroyed by the July 16, 1990 earthquake.

Meanwhile the old convent was converted into Malasiqui’s first Catholic School. A new Catholic Rectory was inaugurated by Msgr. Mariano Madriaga on July 2, 1972.

No comments: